Citrus is one of the most widespread fruit crops consumed throughout the globe with high economic and medicinal values. Citrus is an important genus of evergreen aromatic small trees, mostly spines, and having fruits called hespiridium. Among the citrus fruits of commercial value, sweet orange (Citrus sinensis L. Osbeck), mandarin (C. reticulate Blanco) and sour orange (C. auranticum L.) contribute approximately 80 % of the world citrus fruit production (FAOSTAT 2010). Other commercially important fruits are lime (C. aurantifolia Swingle), lemon (C. limon Burm f.), and pummelo (C. grandis L. Osbeck), but they are grown on relatively smaller scales.Eastern Asia, mainly the south-east Asia is considered to be the centre of origin of Citrus, in this region, still many citrus types are still found in their wild state. In India, citrus is grown in many states, but the states of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra have the largest production share.
- Seedless lime is a small evergreen tree. It is an edible variety which produces oval-shaped juicy fruits.
- This is seedless variety.
- This Lime tree gives fruits throughout the year.
- Production Capacity of this variety is better than others.
- This Variety has longest shelf life.
- This Variety is Better Priced.
- In comparison to other varieties fruits of this variety are bigger & more attractive.
- These fruit trees are found loaded with cluster of fruits.
Why Seedless lime is better than other varieties ?
- The fruit size of seedless lemon is 70-90 gms while other varieties’ fruit is 50-70 gms
- Accommodate 400 seedless lemon plants per acre while 200 plants of other varieties per acre. The planting distance of seedless lemon is 12x8 SFT.
- This variety gives yield throughout the year while others give twice in a year.
- The fruiting time for this variety begins in a first year only while for others begin at fifth year.
- The production of seedless fruit per plant in the 1st year 15 -20kg, in the 2nd year is 30-40 kg and in the 3rd year is 70-100 kg under good production management
- The annual production of this variety is 30-45 ton/acre at 5th year while the annual production of other varieties is 10-12 ton / acre at 5th year.
- The life of seedless tree is 20 years while other varieties trees’ life is around 15 years
- Citric acid is almost double for seedless lemon